Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Prez?

Okay. I am not going to eat my words. Mainly because my mouth is too full from all the Halloween candy I've been sneaking from the kids. Butt, I mean, but, When I was watching the Obama acceptance speech, I was in complete awe over the words coming out of his mouth. Obama is very very smooth. And convincing. And persuasive. Which is encouraging. Its about time we had a confident and brilliant spokesman in the White House. Obama's resume is impressive and well rounded, it puts on airs that he is caring and compassionate and well educated. His wife's resume is equally as impressive. Not to neglect how beautiful their girls are.

Both husband and wife are flawless in the way they carry themselves, the way their arms move at the perfect time, their facial expressions are always on cue and appropriate. This could be ground shaking and peace making for foreign relations. I can see Obama wooing all foreign leaders to being his buddy and suddenly they see his side.


I am hard core conservative and his speech was bringing thoughts to my head like, "why did I not see before how amazing he is. I totally underestimated him." I had to pinch myself a few times to remind myself that I voted against him. Did anyone catch that line where he talked about how the Republican party was based on hard work and self reliance and then so smoothly transitioned into how everyone should be equal financially. I'm like wait, was he agreeing with self reliance or disagreeing and bringing in his distribution of wealth. He is your friend and on your side, but disagreeing without you knowing. He could use this diplomacy for very very good things or just the opposite.

I will be watching in stunned fascination with this new President. I hope things go well and that my convictions in earlier posts about one leader not being capable of changing things too drastically are correct.


I have to admit that I felt a sense of happiness and pride knowing that the first Black President had just been elected. Finally part of the dream of Martin Luther King is coming true when a man "will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". It is neat to know that our country has reached a point where there can be more racial equality. And that those terrible barriers will be brought down quickly. On both sides of the coin. In fact, I don't remember many people in the media mentioning his skin color since Hillary dropped out of the race. Until his "Yes We Can" speech last night.

I wonder how long he has been working on that speech. It must have been years in the making, with all of his anaphora, it seemed patterned after MLK's speech. Whose speech (MLK) was rated as the top American speech of the 20th Century.

Now I don't agree with Obama on many many many issues, but I think he is leaning towards a more socialist view because in some twisted way he thinks he is helping people just like he did in Chicago when he served on the board of directors for the Developing Communities Project, the Joyce foundation, the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, and the barriers he broke in becoming the first black president of the Harvard Law Review.

See how persuasive he is. He almost gets me. Almost. There is still something so unsettling about his perfectness. There are a lot of strange questions raised about his religion, his birth records, college transcripts, or a lack there of.

I am very very interested to see which side of him is manifested throughout his challenges as President of the United States. We will see. It surely will be fascinating, no doubt.

I am interested to hear what everyone else is feeling and thinking about it. Feel free to comment, even you democrats.

1 comment:

The Swensons said...

I didn't listen to the speech, so I don't know anything about it. But I have watched enough of Obama's speeches to know that he is an incredible orator and very well-spoken. And while I am excited to have a president that can actually do that, words can't always fix everything, and they also aren't always believable. (Doesn't every candidate say things that he ultimately doesn't follow through with?)

Anyway, while I've finally come to terms with the idea of him being our next President, I'm still feeling a little unsettled about everything in general. But I'm with you, I guess we'll just see how things go. I am feeling at peace though knowing that at least the Republicans are off the hook for a while. Hopefully they can take the party back to its roots in the meantime and have a new start in 2012! :)