Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What the Crazy??

Okay, I've been off of blogging for a while mainly for two reasons 1) because I spend way too much time reading other people's blogs and need to do something more productive and 2) because I've been trying to change my personality from couldn't care less....... to Type A- I have everything together, on a schedule, and I'm perfect at it.

I have been getting up early to clean my house and read and sometimes exercise or get ready before the craziness of my life, that is having children, wake up. I actually clean up after dinner instead of waiting until the next morning to do the dishes, h@## I actually have been cooking dinner. But my desk is still a mess, my closets are pseudo organized, I don't do my hair every morning, what about exercise time? Do most people get up at a freakishly early hour?

Anyway, I see people who have everything together with perfectly styled hair, pressed clothes, cute kids, fun trips, clean houses, love their church callings; and I think "I can be like that" and "what choices do I make that make my life right now so the opposite?" because its not like I sit on my butt all day and do nothing. I'm always doing something. My husband says I have a time management problem. I usually roll my eyes and start humming to myself when he starts lecturing and saying how I should "just do it", "just get it done", "I don't want to hear excuses", "being crazy isn't an excuse" blah, blah, blah. So Don't Ever tell him this (he won't read this unless I force him to and then he will only half read it and ask me "why do you make me read this stuff?") : but I think he is right. I only have a couple hours of work a day and it appears as if I should have plenty of time to do the things I want to and the things I loathe doing.

This post is not to complain about my life or the workload on my plate or to get comments about how I'm doing a good job. Because I'm not doing a good job. Everyone I know has super jam packed crazy busy stressful lives but they still manage to get everything done.

So please I need everyone's help and input on how to become a more organized, happy, clean, type A personality. Please share your organizational beautiful life strategies and schedules and secrets with me because changing the craziness needs all the help she (as in me) can get!


8 comments:

The Swensons said...

So Kyla, can I just reiterate to you what a great mom you really are?! Seriously, I look at you and you are what I want to be. I think the reason you (and everybody else) feel like you never get anything done, even if it should only take 2 hours out of your day, is because everything is interrupted with kids needing something. At least that's what it always is at my house! I think Greg comes home a lot and wonders why nothing is done at our house, and that's exactly why - kids. But really, kids always come first, so as long as you are fulfilling their needs, you should be proud of yourself! But just know, you are not alone. Just last night, I was lying in bed thinking about what a failure I am as a mom and wife. It all gets overwhelming sometimes, and I think every mom can relate, so just try to remember that.

As for dinner, is Dan still in town? We were thinking about coming up on Friday or Saturday. What do you think?

Lauren said...

Well, I'm probably more on the side of neurotic and crazy when it comes to these things, so maybe I can help. The thing that keeps me the most sane is having a routine. I made a cleaning schedule that keeps track of which days I do which types of laundry. It's not very stressful to do a load or two of laundry on a 2 or 3 days than to stress about it once it's all piled up and there are tons of loads to do at once. Plus, the chart makes me feel good to cross the chores off once completed. I start working on dinner at 4 pm while watching Oprah and then I clean up all the dishes shortly after dinner. I leave them out for an hour or two if we want to go somewhere before putting the girls down to bed, but that isn't very often. I usually go to the grocery store on the same day each week and plan my meals and shopping list the night before. I keep the girls on a regular schedule so I have my free time when they're napping in the afternoon and after they go to bed at 8 PM. I would go nuts without some down time. As far as exercise goes, I'm not as good with this but am getting better. I prefer to take them with me instead of waking up early, so I run or walk with them in our double jogging stroller. Best wishes!

Elisa said...

Oh my gosh, when you figure this out let me know. It sounds like Lauren is much better at this then me, but i'm getting better too. For me, it's all about lists and schedules. It I can cross it off a list, I can normally get it done. But if my schedule is thrown off by something, my day is shot. How do people do it with lots of kids!!??

Stephanie said...

I wish I had something so insprirational to say. The only thing I could think of is making a list. I have a calendar that I use everyday that has every thing I need to do, buy, take kids places, etc. It helps a lot in organization. You are doing a great job. I think every mom doesn't think they are doing enough, but just do what is enough for you and your family. I have a poem that we had hanging in our house as kids, it goes:
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for children grow up we learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
Doesn't that say it all????

Emily said...

I have been thinking a lot about your post since I've first read it - It's amazing that each of us supermoms feel the same way! :) I don't think anyone feels like they have it completely together, but I know without a doubt that there is no one better suited in this world to be a wife to Dan Stevens and the mother of two adorable girls! Each of us are the best fit for where we are - don't you forget that!! You do a great job and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

C and C Young said...

I have a type A personality and WISH I didn't! Being a compulsive perfectionist does have its downfalls. I am working to become more spontaneous and relaxed. I am way too uptight. I love your personality and think you totally have it all together!

Sherwoods said...

Move to mexico and get a maid...mine is currently mopping my floors. I also went to bed last night with a filthy kitchen and woke up to it shining and clean. That is my kind of day! Other than that, I don't know. I haven't showered in two days so good luck!

Kyla Stevens said...

Thank you for all the feed back. I have tried to incorporate a few of these things into my day. I have really used the list one, it is very rewarding I have a bunch of things crossed off already. Next I am going to make myself a goldstar chart and reward myself with fruit snacks and stickers, oh wait thats for ashton. Who says I can't have one too??
I also have tried to make dinner earlier so I'm not cleaning up so late.
You ladies are so awesome. Thanks for the help. Keep it coming.