Saturday, March 28, 2009

Awww baby boo :(

Adrienne is in the hospital with Pneumonia and Influenza A. Poor baby is so worn out from all of the viruses she has only been able to cuddle with Dan or me all week. It all started out with runny noses last week and then both girls had eye infections which cleared up quickly. As Ashton kept on with a cough and runny nose but otherwise feeling well; Adrienne, on the other hand, was lethargic and whiny and had a fever. Finally on Friday (yesterday) her little heart was beating so fast and she was breathing really hard we took her to InstaCare. Once the nurses saw her they immediately started doing tests, the doctor came in the room rapidly and ordered an x-ray. As soon as that came back the Dr. told us that we would have to take her to the hospital immediately.

Adrienne's oxygen levels were really low and her heart rate was too high and they put an IV in her. It was so sad to see her little body laid up on the big bed with all of these wires attached to her. The only word she said for the last few days has been, "no". When normally she talks and imitates up a storm. The Dr. said this morning that she might be in the hospital until Monday or Tuesday. Ugh.

Yet, on the bright side, tonight around 7pm Dan and Ashton came back from running errands and Adrienne perked right up. She started eating and talking and joking and being feisty. She even ate a little Popsicle and was moving around on her bed! Also, her oxygen levels have been much better and she is even letting me sit on another chair rather than holding her. So all of these things are making me feel a lot more optimistic.

We are doing okay and have everything we need, we appreciate phone calls, but I don't want visitors because I don't want anyone to get sick!

I have realized that I am so grateful for Heavenly Father that he hears our prayers and blesses me and can give me peace and the ability to deal with these kinds of things.

The other thing I have realized is that I need to be a lot more careful about my kids getting germs. Dan and I were trying to think of where and how her infection got so bad. Germs are everywhere, everyone of our friends we have had playdates with have had colds within the last few weeks, plus preschool germs, plus the nursery, plus the grocery store, the grocery cart, the bank, the hot springs we went to last week (even though we showered there right after), and another multitude of places where bacteria is just teeming! Yuck, when I add all of this up it makes me want to quarantine my kids in early spring when RSV and Influenza A are at a peak. I know thats not realistic, but now I am just going to be a lot more selective with our activities to limit my childrens exposure to all of this stuff. I almost would rather be a freak now than have to end up in the hospital again!

I pray that Adrienne will get better soon so that we can go home soon.

5 comments:

The Simpson Times said...

I pray that she'll get better soon too...what an awful experience for all of you. How sad it must be to see her with all of the tubes :( The boys have had the same things...cough, eye infections, runny noses - luckily they haven't ended up so bad (knock on wood). So crazy to think of all the germs we're exposed to in all of the places we go. Great to hear that she was doing better tonight - hope you get to go home soon!

The Swensons said...

Kyla, I am so sorry!!! How miserable. We will keep her in our prayers - I hope she is going home soon! If there is ANYTHING you need, you let me know! Love you!

Chad and Stephanie said...

So sorry to hear about your little one being sick! Since Kaleb was a preemie the Dr and nurses tried to put the fear of god in me on how careful I need to be about not getting him sick, so I take alot of precautions. For example, the grocery cart thing I have a cover that is over the cart and so he can't touch it at all and during the rsv season he rarely goes out to the stores at all. I also don't take him to anybodys house that is sick at that time. I know it sounds tough but kaleb has only had 1 slight ear infection in 16 months of life so I felt it was worth it for me. Hopefully she gets better soon.

The Hagen's said...

Poor little girl! Get better soon!!!

Emily said...

Poor thing - I hope she continues to get better quickly and you hang in there too - it can be just as hard on you to have her sick as it is on her!