Friday, April 10, 2009

Kalai Concert

I saw this guy Kalai on facebook, an ad for his show in Logan. I listened to him on Youtube then bought tickets online a month ago. Dan had to go on a business trip this week and missed the concert. I tried desperately to get any of my friends to go with me to this no name concert, but to no avail, I already had a babysitter, so I went, *gasp* by myself.

The guy taking tickets bought my ticket back because, and I quote, "You're by yourself? I feel bad for you."
I had to laugh at that. I am quite comfortable going to events by myself. Although I did see a ton of my former and current tenants apparently they are in charge of a group called Aggies for Africa where they raise money to build schools and microloans.

On to the concert, this was a benefit concert for Mali Rising organization.

Kalai was born in Hawaii and moved to Alaska. Apparently along the way somewhere he converted to Mormonism. He was born with an enlarged hand that causes a lot of pain, despite that he would practicing singing and the guitar for four to eight hours a day.
He had hilarious commentary that had latitude only a convert can have, then transitioned into intense powerful songs. He played a Hymn he had changed the music to all I can say is AMAZING.
He can jam on the guitar like no one I've heard, usually I get bored with musicians taking long embellisments on their guitar solos, but his were interesting and sounded really good. I've seen Tim Reynolds and this was more entertaining by a long shot, musically. There are a few things Kalai is lacking that Tim Reynolds has: drugs, foul language, a lot of technical hoopla for the guitar. You know, for people who like that kind of stuff.

Enough of my commentary, here's a couple videos: Keep in mind that the live show is 100x better than these videos, video2 .

For you Northwesterners he has a show on April 21 in Puyallup, WA and another on on April 22 in Oregon.
Enjoy.

3 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of him before! He plays up at USU a lot, and also down in Orem a lot. I've been to some of his shows before and he's really good! Dan also served his mission in Alaska and knew his family and said they were really funny people!

Anonymous said...

This is totally random, but Kalai used to live in the backyard of one of my neighbor's growing up. He lived in a tent there for two years or so. I think a member of the bishopric at the time (or someone else) helped convert him to the church. I remember going over & listening to him practice all the time. I have a couple of his albums...you are right, he is amazing! :)

Emily said...

I've never heard of him before, but you have definitely sparked my interest.

Also, good for you for going by yourself! You deserve a fun night out!!