Saturday, September 6, 2008

Oops

So last night I went out with my friends to go shoe shopping and get some ice cream and we didn't get home until 11 pm. My friend and I were sitting in her van when a guy in a white t-shirt walks past the back of the van and scares the crap out of us just by walking by. He looked like he was up to no good. We watch him walk across the street an meet another hooligan walking towards him. They meet for a little bit and then part ways quickly. First thing that comes to mind: Drug deal.
So my friend says she's freaked out and we should go home. I get out and lock the van and put the carseats that were on the lawn on the back patio. I see that we didn't put the couches in the garage (they were on the back lawn because Dan cleaned them with an extractor and let them dry in the sun). I consider moving them then decide against it. I go inside and then debate with myself if I should keep the porch light on and I say to myself, "if someone wants to steal these couches they will probably thank me for leaving the light on" so I turn it off and lock the door.

I sit down to watch some tv and about an hour and a half later our back porch motion light turns on! I get up to see what turned it on and I see a guy in a white t shirt in my backyard!!! The wierd thing is, when the light turns on he doesn't run away, just walked calmly but quickly down the road. I was scared by his brazenness, so I called 911. The police came out and checked out the area and said they would watch our house and check by a few times to look in the backyard and stuff. So needless to say I am shaking and my teeth were chattering, I can't sleep until three thirty am. I go and wake Dan up again and tell him my purse and phone and the licensing stuff for one of the dealership cars was in the Honda. I tried to call the credit card company to see recent transactions had been made on the car, but it wasn't listing them for today, so I made Dan go outside to see if it had been stolen. I go outside with Dan and the car was unlocked and nothing was stolen.

Except a box of car oil was gone from the back porch. I had picked up for my friend down the street who was supposed to be out of town. so SUPRISE! Haha!! it was my good friends husband who lives a couple of houses down, just picking up their goods. I thought it was uncharacteristic of them not to call so I hadn't even considered it an option, but remember my purse was in the Honda, with my phone, they had texted me, and it was late so they didn't call Dan. He called this morning and told me they had picked it up so I didn't worry that it was gone. OOPS!!!!! That explains why he didn't run after the light turned on and now I realize the other hooligan was shorter and had shoulders that slumped a little more. I am so relieved to find out it was all a big misunderstanding! Because I was FREAKED out. I was on a campaign to move.

But really we have the best neighbors, the police are just around the corner, they were there in seconds, seriously. They said, "don't hesitate to call". Now that it is morning I feel much better. And a lot safer. And a lot less like Joining the NRA and buying a rifle. Yes, that feeling has passed. Sorry Moses guy who is the head of the NRA. Thank goodness.

But I am going to lock all of our doors and close all of the blinds from now on and you guys do the same.

5 comments:

C and C Young said...

SO SCARY--I'm glad things turned out OK though. I love family watch dog. They don't have it up and running where I am because the development is too new, but I used it in Orange County.

Kedra Simpson said...

Okay, that would freak me out so bad. I am glad you called 911 because you never know!!! This world is full of crazies unfortunately. I am glad that everything is okay.

The Swensons said...

Hey, I don't blame you for wanting to lock your doors and close your blinds. We never thought our house in Logan would get broken into, and yet it did... It's a crazy world.

Emily said...

I was scared as I was reading your story that it would have a bad outcome, so I'm glad that it turned out to be okay - yikes!

Sherwoods said...

Hey, I would love to see you when you are down here. Email me and let me know what works for you... amandajsherwood@yahoo.com