Friday, December 19, 2008

PHOTOWALK

Yesterday my friend Brittany Cascio of Cascio Photography called me and invited me to a 'photowalk'. This is where about 50 photographers from the Salt Lake area meet for instructions on certain techniques then go to a location- last night it was temple square- to practice what they learned. I was ecstatic that Brit thought of me. So we both scrambled to find babysitters for our kids then drove as fast as we could to meet everyone there. We missed the instruction part so the photographers there were especially nice and helped us learn about shooting at night. I felt so honored to be in the prescence of these photogs! It was really incredible. Not to mention how cool and open everyone was about sharing their skills and equipment. I had to contain myself from not handing out hugs!

Brittany's contact David, who is a professional photographer, and an incredible one at that, let us follow him around all night. He showed us a ton of new ways to use our cameras, new (at least new to me) tips and a plethora of knowledge. You are great David, thank you! I'll get around to posting a link to his website soon.

My ISO was way too high in most of these shots.
Also next time I'll take a tripod and try the BOKEH technique.








Most of the pics are a little blurry due to the lack of my own tripod.






Love this one:


The Star of Bethlehem!!!!












My favorite part of the whole night was that I learned how to shoot in full manual mode which I've never been able to do before or even dared to do. You have way more control over the quality of each picture in this mode.
Talk about a dream come true!





9 comments:

Flash Jorgensen said...

Beautiful!!! I'm so glad you were able to go. The photowalking groups are FABULOUS and I myself have learned so much from that group of people. It's different with this group of people cause they are so willing to share. In the other photography world, it's much different, very hush-hush. No one wants competition or to share their secrets. So the Photowalking groups are AWESOME!!! Hope to meet you soon. Feel free to email me, mystepha@comcast.net I'll be happy to share some tips.
Steph

Reagan Family said...

Hello I think they all look beautiful! Well done! And couldn't think of a more gorgeous place to shoot at christmas!

Stacey said...

Those turned out so great!!!

Kedra Simpson said...

Wow, those pictures are so beautiful!!! Amazing, you do such a great job. I am sad you aren't coming here to take our pics :)

Kristy Weaver said...

Wow, Kyla! you really are getting very talented! I am glad you were able to go and hone your skills - you will be famous some day! :)
Miss you! - Kristy

Karie said...

Those photos are amazing. When did you start taking photos? I would LOVE to know some tricks and trades about photography. If you've seen our Christmas card already, you'll know what I'm talking about. Merry Christmas.

Emily said...

Kyla, can I just tell you that the pics gave me goosebumps - you did an awesome job!!! I love them!!

Merry Christmas!!

The Swensons said...

Kyla, those are GORGEOUS! Good job!

The Simpson Times said...

Those are awesome pictures Kyla! We never got a chance to see temple square while we were there for Christmas, so I'm glad we can see through your beautiful pictures! How great that you got to go to that photowalk and receive so much advice!