I know that I have a lot of flaws. Number one on my list is that I'm not a very organized person or great at managing my time. I think I've even mentioned that here. Anyone who has talked to me in person will hear me joke about how I can be lazy, that I will blog at 2:35pm instead of folding laundry or mowing my lawn. This choice is my coping mechanism. I will be so stressed out, so I blog for a couple hours or look at pictures or shoot the breeze with friends or neighbors, so I don't explode, then I still accomplish most of the things I set out to do that day.
This is not to be confused with, me not getting things done or being truely lazy. I have an inherently busy life. I stay at home with 2 children, I have 5 rental properties, manage for 2 other properties, 74 tenants total, Dan works a lot, and has started traveling frequently again. Over the last five years my world has been crazy: getting married, having a honeymoon baby, finishing college, starting work with a young child and still going to school, Dan traveling, being in the Relief Society presidency for three of those years, Dan and various business partners starting 3 different businesses, other than the marketing company they were already running (car co. & garbage co & apartments), moving to Kentucky for 3 months and Indiana for 2 months (Dan was there longer). Also, I started doing photography this last year, although that added to the chaos, it was also a saving grace for me.
If graduating with a degree in Economics with an emphasis in Political Science, keeping our properties 100% full (where the norm is 95% or less) and our tenants happy (they like our company and I find great satisfaction in not being the crappy landlord), bearing two children and running the whole household when Dan is out of town, starting my own business and paying off my equipment within the first two months of having it, all by the age of 26, doesn't say that I know how to get things done. Then I don't know what does.
I realize I do things haphazardly sometimes, starting a project and not finishing it until days or weeks later. Having piles of unfolded laundry in my basement or dishes in the sink for 8 hours. In spite of this, I have learned how to not procrastinate on the important things. When it comes to my children I pay more attention to them and I don't get mad nearly as much as I used to. And the rentals? I get things done within a short period of time of within coming to my attention. I have improved so much in the last five years at tenant-manager relations. I have learned to not do everything by myself. I have learned how not to get walked on. I have learned to be nice but still get what the business needs to make it profitable (or to get us to the 30 year mark at least). Most of these I have learned the hard way. Although I hated the rentals at first. I actually feel like they have been a good growing experience for me and helped me get over a large amount of procrastination.
I do work hard. I have a lot on my plate. I want to apologize but I can't quite bring myself to apologize for not being the fastest or most organized person on the block. I can't bring myself to say, "I am so sorry for not being able to learn to stay on task, on top of the 5 other things going on in my life right now". I know many people are critical of me. I know that a lot of people (there are specific names) who do have it all together with controlled lives are going to read this and say: "she is just making excuses". I know that many people are probably not going to be able to see or understand my efforts. But I am going to stick up for myself.
Being flexible (aka unorganized) is a way I have been my whole life and didn't even have the desire to change until about a year ago.
Infact, I think that being flexible and not being so scheduled is a great trait.
I don't wait for my "schedule" to say, you can do this right now. Because the time I had alloted for something specific is easily filled by outside variables that: (here's the kicker for schedulers and people with simple lives) I CAN'T CONTROL. It is not possible to control EVERYTHING in my life. Like some people have told me I should control my life better.
In fact, I think there are very few big things in life that can be controlled. I'm not saying throw your hands up and don't do anything. I am saying that being flexible isn't always a bad thing or something to turn your nose up at.
**I want to be clear that I don't blame others for my situation or my flaws. I own up to them. I am well aware of my many many flaws not listed here. I don't need them pointed out to me.
***I know I mentioned Dan traveling a few times, but I don't blame him for my struggles. I signed up for it, I knew that he was going to travel from the beginning of our relationship. I mentioned it because it is a part of my life. It is truth and that is that. Nothing more.
11 comments:
Everyone has strengths and flaws, and we can't expect everyone to have the same ones. I hope this post wasn't a result of someone expecting that from you. You are a fantastic person with many strengths, and I'm glad to see that you recognize all that you do and are in your life.
You've always amazed me, so no judgement here....and I always though you were totally on the ball, so as long as everything gets done and you don't go crazy while doing it, it's all good! You are awesome and don't let anyone else tell you different. I'm super organized, so I'm jealous that you can get everything done without a strict schedule--and you have time for fun....I'm so boring!
Kyla, it sounds as though someone is giving you hell. One of the things I love about you is how real you are! You don't pretend that everything is perfect all the time. I love that I can talk to you about things and you don't turn your nose up at me and say you have never had that problem. No one has life perfectly under control 100% of the time, those that say they do are lying or have paid help : ) I hope you don't listen to stupid people who have nothing better to do than to make you feel bad about yourself, you shouldn't. I think you are doing a wonderful job with your life, with your kids, with everything! Just remember that those who give you the most crap are usually those who have the biggest problem. NOT YOU!
It sounds like you needed blow off some steam here. I am glad you are sticking up for yourself - I have always thought you have been WAY too hard on yourself, so YOU GO GIRL!!!! i can't believe you guys are moving - that makes me really sad b/c I don't know when we will see you again. :( But I know it is what is best for your family. You are an awesome wife, mother and person - don't ever think otherwise! Miss you tons!
I think being flexible is truly one of the greatest traits one can have! My coping mechanisms are similar to yours and its often the middle of the day that you need to take 5! Being a "stay-at-home mom/part time (sometimes full)manager/ plus church callings is seriously insane. I do the same thing, and sometimes I want to pull my hair out! I'm glad you started the photography! You have to have something for yourself like that. Hooray for being FLEXIBLE!
lol. that last comment was me... i was logged in as my husband...
I have a similar flexibility...we get things done in our time. I could never have a strict scheduled life where EVERYTHING has to be scheduled in (now appts. for the kids or school - different story)...it's just not me. I think you are a truly remarkable woman to be able to accomplish all that you have and to live such a busy life....and it is harder when the hubby is not always around. I barely make it through the day until Mark comes home from work - I can't imagine going days knowing that 2nd pair of hands is not around. Good for you to stick up for yourself! We love you and will miss you - don't know when we'll see you next, but hopefully sooner than later!
GIRL....I am the QUEEN of flexible! I think it is honestly better than being a control freak and way more fun!
How would you ever have time to enjoy life, and especially your most important job...your KIDS, if everything else had to be done then and perfectly.
You are amazing. I always read your blog and think, Man, I need to do more stuff. Like run a marathon, finish school, get a hobby, have a job.
You are talented, beautiful, fun, smart, a great mom and wife.
This is Satan's way of making us awesome mormon moms feel like crap. Stick it to him and love yourself. You are perfect and I totally look up to u.
I think you're AWESOME! I've thought on multiple occasions: I don't know how she keeps everything she's doing straight, honestly! You constantly have like 10 balls in the air that you juggle and I'm always impressed by it and you! :)
You go girl! I think FLEXIBLE ought to be in the world dictionary when you look up the word "MOM". It so under-rated when compared to being organized yet brings so much more character. Anyone can master their life when it's predictable, it's when it isn't that you actually learn something from life. You are one incredible mom/wife/homemaker/manager/take-care-of-everything-for-other-people-when-they-need-me/woman!
I couldn't agree more with the comments that have been made - Kyla you are so amazing, please don't EVER let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm so glad you don't sugar coat things either because I know I feel a lot of the same struggles that you mentioned here (as well as a lot of moms do) and I don't have the courage to admit it.
You are a beautiful daughter of God who has so many talents and abilities and hooray for you for doing it a lot as a "single" mom - that is quite the feat in and of itself!!
You are who you are and that is a WONDERFUL thing!!
Post a Comment